The Construction of the Present Church
In 1879, Rev. Guido Knepper, O.F.M. was appointed pastor of our parish. The stone church had become too small to accommodate the many worshippers. Rev. Knepper collected $16,000 for a new church, but he was transferred from the parish in 1887 before the current church was built. Our present day church was constructed under Rev. Benignus Schuetz. The corner stone was laid on April 22, 1889. Work was immediately begun on the monastery connected to the Church.
Renovations After the Second Vatican Council
After the Second Vatican Council closed, many Churches in the United States made modifications to their Church and sanctuary space. At Saint John the Baptist, the high pulpit and communion rail were removed, carpet was installed, and a forward table was installed.